Guideline 1 – Screening, diagnostic assessment, risk assessment, life-stage and adolescents
The clinical questions being addressed:
- At what time point after onset of menarche do irregular cycles indicate ongoing menstrual dysfunction related to PCOS?
- In women with suspected PCOS, what is the most effective measure to diagnose PCOS-related hyperandrogenism (biochemical)?
- In women with suspected PCOS, what is the most effective measure to diagnose PCOS-related hyperandrogenism (clinical)?
- What is the most effective ultrasound criteria to diagnose PCOS?
- Is AMH effective for diagnosis of PCOS?
- Is AMH effective to diagnosis of PCOM?
- What is the post-menopausal phenotype of PCOS?
- Are women with PCOS at increased risk for cardiovascular disease (CVD)?
- In women with PCOS, what is the most effective tool/method to assess risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD)?
- Are women with PCOS at increased risk for impaired glucose tolerance, gestational diabetes and type 2 diabetes mellitus?
- In women with PCOS, what is the most effective tool/method to assess risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus?
- Are women with PCOS at increased risk for sleep apnea?
- What is the method/tool most effective to screen for sleep apnea in PCOS?
- What is the risk of PCOS in relatives of women with PCOS and should they be screened?
- What is the disease risk in relatives of PCOS (CVD, T2DM)?
- If time permits: Are all three criteria required to diagnose PCOS in adolescents?
Members of GDG 1
Professor Joop Laven (Chair)
Erasmus MC Rotterdam
Professor Robert Norman (Deputy Chair)
Obstetrician-Gynaecologist, Reproductive endocrinologist, chemical pathology
University of Adelaide
Professor Marianne Andersen
University of Copenhagen
Professor Ricardo Azziz
Obstetrician/Gynaecologist, Reproductive Endocrinologist.
Georgia Regents University
Dr Preeti Dabadghao
Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences
Professor Didier Dewailly
University of Lille 2
Professor Stephen Franks
Imperial College London
Dr Kathleen Hoeger
Obstetrician/Gynaecologist, Reproductive Endocrinologist
University of Rochester Medical Centre
Dr Samantha Hutchison
Professor Ernest Ng
Reproductive Endocrinologist, Obstetrician-Gynaecologist
The University of Hong Kong
Professor Sharon Oberfield
Columbia University, Department of Paediatrics
Dr Jane Woolcock
Obstetrician-Gynaecologist, Obstetric Ultrasound,
Pelvic Pain SA